Hey college students. The summer’s winding down and all too soon, you’ll be back at the in the dorms, trading your days lingering on the beach for hours in the classroom readying yourself for the real life. Until then, we’re betting more than a few of you are revving up for one last summertime road trip before heading back to school.
Here at E3 Spark Plugs, we love a good end-of-summer road trip and want to make sure you’re prepared. So, here’s a checklist of five must-haves before heading off onto the open road:
- Jumper cables: A dead battery can quickly suck the fun out of your road trip. Take along a set of jumper cables to make sure you can get juiced up and back on the road in no time.
- Spare tire and tire changing supplies: Statistics show that across the US, seven tire punctures happen every second, adding up to a whopping 220 million flat tires per year. A spare tire, lug wrench and car jack will prove a godsend. Also make sure you’ve got a set of safety flares in case your flat tire happens after dark.
- Spark plugs: Road trips can take a lot out of a car’s engine. Make sure your engine retains its get-up-and-go by packing a spare set of spark plugs.
- Headlight and brake light bulbs: These tend to bail out on you at the most inconvenient times, boosting the chances you’ll get an unwanted meet-and-greet with local law enforcement hundreds of miles from home. Pack an extra set.
- Car cell phone charger: It’s that one item that everyone seems to forget. But you’ll be thankful for the reminder when you’re stranded or lost on unfamiliar roads.
Of course, many a road trip emergency can be averted with a few quick pre-launch checks:
- Get an oil change and a full vehicle safety inspection
- Check all fluid levels (brake, transmission, windshield washer, coolant, etc.)
- Check battery
- Check tire pressure
- Check timing belt and serpentine belt on older cars
So, where are you headed for your end-of-summer road trip? Post your stories and pics on the E3 Spark Plugs Facebook Fan Page.